Tips to Improve Your Language Skills


Assalamualaikum dear readers, happy Sunday :)
Today, I am going to share on tips to improve your language skills which one of my lecturer had shared in my classroom. In my opinion, no matter what language you are learning, insyaAllah these tips will be usefull. As for me, I am also practising these tips to improve my languages skills especially Arabic and English Language.

1. READ
First of all, we really need to read a lot. It is because, through reading we can know a lot of new vocabulary and phrases. Not to forget, we can also learn the style of language through reading. So, what types of books or writing should we read ? Let me give you some ideas. 
For me, you can just read any types of writing material that you like and will give benefits to you. It can be books such as motivational books, history books or maybe if you don't like non-fiction books, you can get yourself some fiction books like novels. Oh, if you don't like to keep a lot of physical books, you can just choose other materials such as e-books, or maybe you can just read others writing through websites like Blogger just like what you are doing right now 😉 Try to at least read something everyday, if you are super busy, a sentence is enough, but make it a meaningful one.
My latest english book collection ; a novel from Norhafsah Hamid
(96:1) ٱقْرَأْ بِٱسْمِ رَبِّكَ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَ
2. LISTEN
For listening, what you can do is watch videos in that language. It can be movies or just a short video from Youtube or anywhere else. If you like musics, you can try to listen to them. Look for the one with proper language, especially for Arabic language, choose videos or content with Modern Standard Arabic (فصحى) because there is a lot of Youtuber using Arabic dialect. But it is okay to learn both if you want. Other than movies and songs, you can also watch news, stories, cartoons, or talk show. There is a lot we can watch, just search it, because nowadays everything is just at one's fingertips, right ? Listening can help us to improve our pronunciation, and also will also help us learn the style of the language. Here is one of Arabic song that I have listened to:

Humood Al-Khudher & Hamza Namira, تصنع المستحيل (do the Impossible)

3. WRITE
Writing skill is also really important in every language. So, in order to master a language, we should be able to write well. So, what we can do is to always try to write. Just keep it simple, as I mention above, the first tip is read, so while reading, another thing you should do is writing or jot down new words that you found. Maybe you can just prepare a special note book for that. Also when you watch videos, always remember to write it down as we as a human always tend to forget things, same goes to me. It is just a part of human nature😂

My note book. Excuse my bad handwriting, I know your notes can be way more nicer than mine. Feel free to share how you take notes in the comment section😉  


4. TALK
Okay, this will be the last tip I am going to share, glad to know that you are still reading. For me, talk in Arabic language is still challenging, there is still a lot to learn. Sometimes we are just not confident enough to talk because we are scared that we talked wrongly. But, what we should do is to brace ourselves to just do it. Don't be afraid to make mistakes because it is also another way of learning. We make mistakes, and then we fix it. Always try to practice the language we learn by talking. You can maybe find a friend to talk together so that both of you can get benefit from that. Just start with a simple & short conversation, but if you want to make it longer, of course you are encouraged to do so! It maybe takes time to talk fluently, but don't worry, just enjoy the processes.


Last but not least, apart from all these tips, I would like to remind myself and also my readers to always mind our etiquettes or we called it as 'adab' in seeking knowledge. Always make sure that we have sincere intentions, and also don't forget to always respect teachers. That's the key !
I think that's all for now, see you in my next post. I hope this post give a little benefits to you. You are welcomed to drop your opinions, thoughts or questions in the comment section. 



Thank You For Reading



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 useful websites for Arabic student

REFLECTIVE JOURNAL 1: DEFORESTATION

CMCO in campus